Think of Cole Slaw but with some Mexican spices and without the mayonnaise. It’s a great salad to accompany anything or even use on top of tacos.
We were inspired for this recipe at a restaurant in Cardiff by the Sea, CA, named Las Olas. When we went to visit my in-laws, they knew we’d love it, and we did. (Thanks Lish &Mike)
Here’s my recipe for Mexican Cabbage Salad
Start with the slaw, you can use a premade bag or make your own.
1/2 bag of large grocery store coleslaw mix (we like the bags from Sam’s)
- 4 loose cups shredded green cabbage
- 4 loose cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
And add the following:
- 1/2 cup thin sliced red onion
- 2 thin sliced jalapenos (deseeded and deveined for mild version) lightly chopped after slicing.
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Whisk up the dressing until kosher salt dissolves then toss well with all vegetable ingredients.
Rest for 1 hour and toss again prior to serving. Can be served chilled or room temp. Makes a fantastic taco topping!