Here’s a tip for a practical and easy way to roll out you pie dough. We’ve seen this used on cooking shows where they use two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. It was a great idea but it seemed like a waste of wax paper or plastic wrap so we thought, why can’t you just re-use a plastic grocery bag? It turns out, you can and it’s a perfect way to re-use these bags.
Now, you want to make sure the bag is clean. For this reason, we don’t use the plastic bags they give you at the check-out counter. You can use these bags but make sure it’s really clean. Instead, we use the clear bags that you bring home your produce in. You know, the kind in the produce section that you use to hold your vegetables while you shop.
- First, clean the bag and let it dry completely.
- Lay the bag out flat and then cut down the two long sides of the bag and the bottom side. You’ll have two plastic sheets of the same size.
- Place the pie dough in the center of one of the sheets.
- Place the other sheet over of the dough ball.
- Use your hands to start flattening the dough ball and then roll out the dough.
- Place your pie pan over the dough to confirm the dough has been rolled out enough to fill your pan.
- Check to see if your dough is sticking to the plastic sheets. If it’s sticking, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to make it stiffer and less sticky.
- Remove the top layer of plastic.
- Turn the dough over and place into the pie pan.
- Gently, pull back the last layer of plastic and you’re ready to fill your pie.